Threadripper vs Epyc – what’s the distinction? Although just a few years in the past, AMD appeared to have been relegated to the cut price bin, they now have two glorious choices for prime demand workstation customers, HEDTs, and HPCs. For these customers, which is your best option?
Ryzen Threadripper Professionals
With as much as 64 whole processing cores, Threadripper is primarily positioned as a workstation platform, finest suited to excessive demand functions like video, skilled VFX, and rendering. A number of the advantages embrace:
- Core Frequency – Not like most excessive core rely processors, Threadripper runs a single core Increase velocity of 4.3-4.5GHz vs round 3.2 for Epyc. This provides it the benefit in each closely threaded functions like Media & Leisure, but additionally single threaded functions like CAD and structure.
- Official Home windows Help – Since Epyc is primarily a datacenter platform, you’ll sometimes discover suitable motherboards with out official Home windows 10 assist. That’s to not say you may’t run Home windows desktop model on an Epyc workstation – we’ve been doing it for years on our HD360A – however somewhat it takes some extra knowhow to correctly set up working drivers. Since Threadripper is a desktop platform with full Home windows driver assist, it won’t require any extra data.
AMD Epyc Professionals
Epyc is principally generally known as a server platform, however due to its excessive core rely, scalability, and general increased I/O bandwidth, we’re seeing many customers operating functions like Machine Studying and scientific simulations flip to the platform. Listed below are a few of these key advantages for that consumer:
- RAM Density/Channels – Most single socket Epyc motherboards will assist as much as 2TB of RAM in 8 channels, vs. 256GB in 4 channels with Threadripper. Although the intense majority of customers won’t ever want 256GB+, that’s an enormous profit for those who do.
- ECC Help – The Threadripper structure does assist ECC reminiscence, however TRX40 chipset doesn’t, so till a chipset refresh is on the market, Epyc (and Threadripper PRO) are the one AMD choices for full ECC assist.
- Scalability/Core Depend –Threadripper helps solely a single socket, however most Epycs assist twin CPU configurations, doubling the variety of potential cores to 128 and threads to 256 in addition to rising PCIe lanes and I/O capability. This degree of scalability is important for essentially the most CPU intensive functions or simulations.
- Safety – AMD’s trade main Infinity Guard is a set of security measures that present an additional degree of encryption that Threadripper doesn’t.
What about WRX80 Threadripper PRO
AMD’s Threadripper PRO with WRX80 chipset is the most recent product on this class, which in some methods combines one of the best of TRX40 Threadripper and Epyc. From a efficiency standpoint, Threadripper PRO aligns intently with normal Threadripper with related core counts and frequencies but additionally provides the ECC assist, extra RAM capability, and security measures that Epyc gives.
Threadripper vs Epyc – Which Ought to Professionals Use?
The reply is determined by the particular use case. Epyc’s effectivity and scalability together with AMD’s Infinity Guard security measures make it a greater match for servers than most workstation functions. Most often, Threadripper, with its increased core frequency and official Home windows 10 assist, is finest for conventional workstation customers and functions.
That’s to not say that some skilled workstation customers gained’t see particular advantages with Epyc over Threadripper and even Threadripper Professional although. For customers searching for excessive RAM density options of 256GB+ which can be extremely threaded sufficient to profit from greater than 128 threads – functions like Design and Simulation, Machine Studying, Climate, Analysis/Academia, and Computational Fluid Dynamics – there could also be sufficient efficiency profit to outweigh the extra expense of Epyc. However for all different workstation customers within the Media & Leisure, Structure, Engineering & Design, or related verticals, Threadripper simply has too many advantages to disregard.
Configure our AMD Threadripper Workstation HD80A now!
Josh has been with Velocity Micro since 2007 in varied Advertising, PR, and Gross sales associated roles. Because the Director of Gross sales & Advertising, he’s liable for all Direct and Retail gross sales in addition to Advertising actions. He enjoys Seinfeld reruns, the Atlanta Braves, and Beatles songs written by John, Paul, or George. Sorry, Ringo.