The Nikkei newspaper has an article about Sony Semiconductor’s sensor technique. That is the Google translated textual content by way of Digicameinfo:
Sony maintains “60% international market share” picture sensor with new know-how (Nikkei newspaper)
- The Sony Group will additional improve the performance of picture sensors utilized in smartphone cameras and different gadgets. We’ll notice a know-how that concurrently focuses on vibrant and darkish objects, which was troublesome previously.
- The world’s prime market share has dropped to about 40% as a result of lack of clients as a result of US-China battle and the catch-up of Samsung Electronics of South Korea. By digging deeper into the know-how, we are going to adhere to the standard goal of 60% international market share in 2025 and dodge the pursuit of rivals.
- Sony Semiconductor Options, which is answerable for the semiconductor enterprise underneath the Sony Group, launched a brand new know-how referred to as “Octa PD” to the press on the seventeenth. You possibly can focus at excessive velocity in any scene similar to vibrant or darkish locations. Prior to now, it was troublesome for smartphone cameras to deal with vibrant and darkish objects on the identical time.
Reference: Sony’s “All Pixel Autofocus (AF)” know-how (Sony Semiconductor)
- “Octa PD” is a know-how that multiplies “Twin PD” with sensors within the Quad Bayer array. This methodology is appropriate for big sensors that may obtain the wonderful AF efficiency of all-pixel AF whereas sustaining the “excessive sensitivity” and “HDR compatibility” which might be the options of Quad Bayer.
- Particularly, Octa PD is exclusive in that it will possibly purchase section variations in all pixels of lengthy publicity, medium publicity, and brief publicity throughout HDR operation, and realizes high-speed AF operation whatever the brightness of the topic.
Octa PD is a construction that mixes a quad Bayer sensor with Twin PD (Canon’s so-called twin pixel) know-how, and might notice extraordinarily high-level section AF whatever the brightness of the topic.
Because the Octa PD has already been adopted by Sharp’s AQUOS R7 and has been put into sensible use, it might be solely a matter of time earlier than this know-how is adopted for bigger sensors.